Tuesday 16 February 2016

A Travel-Friendly Makeup Bag





I'm an chronic overpacker. I'm a "what if", "I need options" and a "just in case" kind of woman and when it comes to packing, it can lead to some ridiculous dramas (aka the dreaded excess baggage charge. Not fun). I have come to learn that making a few concessions weren't that painful and that overthinking every step of the way was more a curse than a blessing. In other, less melodramatic words, I've learnt to pack - sort of. I'm forever packing too many dresses and an extra pair of shoes I never end up wearing - but I've learnt my lesson with make-up. I know I'm not the only woman in this situation (I'm afraid it might be in our genes, ladies) so I thought I would share my edition of the travel-friendly makeup bag for those of you who have a somewhat frightening amount of products to chose from. I am well aware there's about a billion of other possibilities, that our taste may differ and that your skin-type will be different from mine - by all mean, make it your own ! What I'm presenting here is just a couple of simple guidelines that, hopefully, will keep you from going too extremely overboard when packing your beauty arsenal.

To start with the base, if you own several foundations/base products I'd recommend picking the most versatile one. What I mean by that is pick a product that can be worn as a light layer for the day time and that can be build up for nighttime. I chose a foundation over a tinted moisturizer for that very reason, but obviously if you have fabulous skin, don't bother. The Chanel Perfection Lumière Velvet is one of my all time favourite because it's freaking easy to use - fingers, brush, sponge, it all works like a charm. It has a great lasting power and has a truly versatile coverage. Also note that the packaging is ideal to travel; no glass bottle allowed there I'm afraid (although you can always depot the product in a smaller container if you have to). I didn't pick a primer per say, but took my Body Shop highlighter which I like to use as a primer or mix with my foundation for an extra glow. It can also be applied after your base  as a highlighter. Gorgeous, gorgeous product - and a bargain! For concealer, it's a no brainer - Nars Radiant creamy concealer always wins in my book. Full coverage, easy to blend, doesn't budge. Sold.  Wherever you go, whether you wear foundation or not, a good concealer can get you out of almost any uncomfortable situation or terribly bad skin day (post-flight breakout anyone?). For blusher, I chose a Bobbi Brown pot rouge (in 20 Raspberry) because cream products are the easiest to apply on the go and can be applied both on cheeks and lips. No brush needed here, your fingers will do fine - just remember to apply the product before applying any powder.  Sticking with powder,  I find a compact is easier to travel with than a lose powder. I picked my trusty Hourglass Ambient Lighting powder. I find bronzer optional and don't usually pack one but if I had to, I'd go for the Charlotte Tilbury Filmstar Bronze and Glow as you get a bronzer and a highlighter in one palette, which is always handy. For contour, nothing beats the Kevyn Aucoin Sculpting powder which, conveniently enough, takes barely any room at all. Moving on to brows, a brow pen/pencil and a gel are a must. Your brow routine isn't the place to make sacrifices - plus pens aren't exactly heavy products anyway. I'm never without the Suqqu brow pen and at the moment I'm using the Anastasia setting gel. Moving on to eyes, a primer is generally a smart tool to have and the Nars' little number does an amazing job. Again, cream products are the easiest to use when short on time and brushes. I picked a Charlotte Tilbury cream shadow in Marie Antoinette which is a universally flattering bronzy shade. I also packed an Urban Decay basics palette which is a good all-rounder; it contains almost exclusively matte shades except for one, all neutrals with which you can create pretty much any look, from a simple brown eye in conjunction with the cream, or a full smoky eye for later hours. Also, because a girl need at least a few options, I packed Laura Mercier caviar stick in Amethyst - just in case of a craving for something more colourful. A liner doesn't take much room and can be used in more ways than, most likely, you'll get to experience during your stay - so pack one (I chose Tom Ford's metallic mink). I don't know anyone who doesn't use at least a bit of mascara ? Right? Charlotte Tilbury it is then ! I personally like to use curlers, but this isn't compulsory for everyone. Finally for lips, a lip balm and a nude lip liner will do the job on most days, although if like myself you like a bold lip for a night out, chose one, and only one bolder option. I went for Tom Ford Black Dahlia which you might want to consider if you're into deep red, vampy lips. Don't forget to pop your cheeks and lips product into your bag so if you feel tired and look washed out during the day, you can easily apply a hint of colour to your lips. An easy step that can make all the difference! For brushes, it all depends on your preferences but for eyes a MAC 217 alone will do the job. If you packed a contour powder, a brush is necessary. I also packed a foundation brush, but that's entirely up to you. A medium-sized brush is enough for powder and bronzer, no need to carry your big fat brush (for those of you who don't use a bronzer, you may want to pack a smaller brush, like I did with the Real Techniques Setting brush, which is great to use with your setting powder). 

Finally, remember that nothing is irreplaceable - at least when it comes to makeup. You can purchase any type of product almost anywhere in the world, so if the plane is about to take off when you can suddenly visualise your poorly left behind favorite foundation in its draw back at home, let it go girlfriend - you'll be just fine.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment